PhD opportunities in Fluid Dynamics at the University of Leeds
The EPSRC CDT in Fluid Dynamics at Leeds offers up to 10 funded places per year for UK/EU students. Places are also available to students fully funded by other sources. Research at the Centre comes under five broad themes: Energy and Transport; Environmental Flows; Geophysical and Astrophysical Flows; Biomedical Flows; Industrial Processes; and Underpinning Methods for Fluid Dynamics (https://fluid-dynamics.leeds.ac.uk/).
In addition, there are many discipline-focussed opportunities across campus. Some of the funding options are linked to specific projects, whilst others can be applied more flexibly, allowing you to choose your research area and supervisor. These opportunities are awarded on the basis of academic merit and are very competitive, so it is important you make enquiries and apply as early as possible. Former students may be eligible for a 10% discount on fees with the alumni bursary. To search for opportunities in each Faculty please see the links below.
- Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences: https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities
- Multiphase and turbulent flows; flood dynamics; flow around buildings; CFD; thermofluids; droplets; sprays
- Geophysical fluid dynamics; compressible flows; astrophysical fluid dynamics; magnetohydrodynamics; hydrodynamics
- Faculty of Environment: https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities
- Weather and climate modelling; atmospheric dynamics; sediment dynamics; core-mantle interactions
- Faculty of Medicine and Health: https://medicinehealth.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities?query=&scope=uk
- Biological transport and regulatory mechanisms; modelling biological flows; microfluidics
General guidance is also available on how to apply for a research degree at Leeds: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/130206/applying/91/applying_for_research_degrees
Our 1 year MSc programmes offer the chance to build in-depth knowledge in a discipline area, and all include a substantial research dissertation component. We have several MSc programmes at Leeds which develop aspects of fluid dynamics including:
- Advanced Chemical Engineering
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Process Engineering
- Climate and Atmospheric Science
- Energy and Environment
- Exploration Geophysics
- Petroleum Production Engineering
- River Basin Dynamics and Management with Geographical Information Systems
Studying in Leeds
The University of Leeds is one of the largest universities in Britain with over 38,000 students and more than 7,000 staff, including over 2,000 academic and academic-related staff.
We offer excellent facilities to support your studies including state-of-the art laboratories, high performance computing and a wide range of library and support services such as language support.
The campus is just a 10 minute walk from Leeds city centre which offers a wide range of social, retail, sporting and cultural activities. The city is within easy reach of the beautiful Yorkshire countryside enabling access to outdoor activities, the coast, market towns and the historic city of York.